Monday, July 14, 2014

What is the process for a legal name change other than marriage or divorce?

Q: I got divorced about 6 months ago and could have changed my name then but was so overwhelmed with the process name change was the least of my issues. Also my professional credentials are in my married name. Now however I see benefit in doing so. How does the process work? Would I be responsible for contacting each and every agency and creditor or is there a mechanism that takes care of that? What would I need to do? And what is the cost?

A: In all likelihood, your divorce judgment allowed for you to resume use of your maiden name - take a second look at it (it's usually one of the last lines just before the Judge's signature).  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment