Saturday, July 12, 2014

Can my mother throw me out?

Q:  I am a 20 year old student and my mother is throwing me out. We were in the middle of moving to a new house and an argument started so she has packed my things in bags and told me to leave. Half my things are already at the new house. Is she legally able to do this? I have broken curfew about eight times in the past three months, but there were only three times when I did not notify her. These were all because I stay out to complete homework assignments as I don't have proper working space at home, or accidentally fell asleep somewhere (I have medical sleep troubles). She plans on leaving my things here and told me that I will have to pay the landlord the rent if I stay here past the deadline to move out , but I physically cannot move these things out, especially on such short notice.

Additional information
 
I do not pay rent.
 
 
A:  David's Answer:  Your mother has a duty to financially support you until you're 21 (unless you're otherwise found to be emancipated), so if she's kicking you out, consider filing a petition for child support against her. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for more info.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment