Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Can my half-sister's father legally adopt me?

Q:  Both of my biological parents want nothing to do with me and because of this I cannot go to school. I want to go to school to finish my degree in criminal justice, but because of federal regulations I cannot get any help paying for it. I also want to feel like I am part of a family where everyone cares about me. My sister's father actually raised me as a child and I feel like I have a connection with this family, and would like to be a part of it, legally. I would like to know if this is possible and how long it would take to complete this process if it is.

A:  David's Answer:  How old are you? You mentioned a degree, so I'm assuming you're over 18 & attending college. If so, an adoption cannot be done in Family Court. Since you are (presumably) legally an adult, your school likely has forms to declare yourself emancipated so as to qualify for financial assistance based on your own finances.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment