Wednesday, July 16, 2014

My daughter wants to make me, her MOM, a guardian of her baby. How do we do this?

Q:  My 24 year old daughter, who suffers from emotional issues, gave birth to a baby about a month ago. Thank God they are doing well. My daughter is not married and so far the father has no interest in the baby. My daughter wants me to become co-guardian with her for the baby. Do you I need to get a court order for this? How do I do this? (And please don't tell me to get a lawyer, as I will, but right now I want come overall advice on this. Thank you.

A:  David's Answer:  You're best advised to file for guardianship - you can always have it phrased as joint guardianship with primary physical residence to you. File the petition with the Rockland Family Court. Schedule a consult with a Rockland/Westchester Family Law attorney for more info.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment