Saturday, July 12, 2014

Do my marriage legal?

Q:  I had married woman, about 2 month later I found out, she is legally married in her country. When she applied for US visa she wrote on her application married&showed marriage certificate.
Before ceremony at city clerks office I ask her few times if she married in her country, she said" No". At clerks office she also said No and signed form confirming that.
My question is: "According to US law my marriage legal or not? Do I need to report that to city clerks office and nullify my marriage? Do I need to file for divorce( cause we split already).

A:  David's Answer:  If your wife was legally married when she married you, then you may file for annulment. You should get proof from her country that she is in fact still married prior to filing for the annulment. Schedule a consult with a Family Law attorney in your area.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment