Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Do I need a lawyer to resolve further problems with my baby father and how soon I can start getting all ready?

Q:  I'm 16 weeks pregnant and father of my baby walked out , blocked all contact, is not interested in pregnancy and he is telling me he wants to wait till DNA gets done. I have no reasons to be afraid of DNA testing as he was the one that cheated that's why we separated. We been together for few years now he is acting like he wants nothing to do with me or his baby. What I would like to know what he will do once the baby is born. What kind of rights he will have and if he is responsible of any out of packet costs while I'm pregnant. I will put him as a father on birth certificate but since he most likely won't be present at the child birth I will give this baby my last name . I want child support and hoping we can work our issues out and give him share custody.

A:  David's Answer:  You can file for paternity & child support when the child is born. He'd generally be obligated to pay 17% of his adjusted gross income for basic support, as well as reimbursement of his pro rata share of maternity & medical costs. He can file for visitation right as well as potentially contest custody (though as a practical matter, fathers rarely win primary custody). Schedule a consult with a Family Law attorney in your area for more info.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment