Friday, July 4, 2014

Can a father stop an adoption? I have a family to adopt my baby and fell its for the best. can he stop the adoption?

Q: I feel its for the best. He is so immature and doesn't even take care of himself. He is in college living at home with mommy. He still acts like a little kid even has issues with personal hygiene. Their house is gross and about 4 people smoke there. He refuses to think of whats best for the baby. He wont be able to support her let alone or even help me if I have the baby. Can he keep the adoption from happening?

A: He is generally entitled to notice of the adoption proceeding. If he has maintained "substantial contact" with the child and has not otherwise abused or neglected the child, then his consent will most likely be required to the adoption (although he'd need to appear in the action & contest). If he does, then file a petition for child support & aggressively pursue that case.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment