Friday, July 4, 2014

Can I consent to an order of protection without agreeing to what I have been accused of? Do I have to be there to do so?

Q: I have gone through this process with the same person before and the order was dismissed after wasted time and money. I can't afford to lose another 8 months as well as the money that was spent just to have the same outcome. It is clear this person won't stop until they get what they want which is to hurt me. I am willing to have the OP as long as I don't have to say I did the things I was accused of. Also, I would like to avoid seeing this person at all costs. Is there any way to consent to the order without me being at court for the date scheduled?

A: You can have a consent order of protection with no finding of wrongdoing, but must generally be present in court to enter your consent.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment