Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Orders of protection and eviction

Q:  I own my home and boyfriend moved in October of 2013. I found him cheating and there were some incidents of domestic violence so I kicked him out. He returned two weeks later to "reconcile". I found out he was cheating again with strangers from Craigslist and when I confronted him he assaulted me. I have a full stay away for myself, home and children (300 feet) obtained June 14, 2014. He has a garage full of stuff and is playing games getting it out. What rights do I have and how long do I have to keep his belongings? My children are scared and I want to move on.


A:  David's Answer:  You can write him a letter stating that he has up to 30 days to remove his belongings or else you will consider them abandoned & will discard them. Make sure to note that he'll need to arrange for the police to accompany him when he comes out. Schedule a consult with a Family Law attorney in your area for more info.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment