Saturday, July 12, 2014

Do I need a Family Law attorney to be present for a hearing in regards to article 4,5,6,8 and 10?

Q:  Can I ask the judge for legal representation at the first preliminary proceeding? Can I ask for family counseling and/or mediation? What kind of fees am I expected to pay if I contest the summon?

A:  David's Answer:  Of the articles you've named, you're entitled to appointment of counsel in Art. 6 custody/visitation proceedings, Art. 8 family offense proceedings and Art. 10 child protective proceedings. You're not entitled to assignment of counsel in Art. 4 support proceedings, and only entitled to counsel in an Art. 5 paternity proceeding if it's contested. The are no court fees associated with Family Court proceedings & attorney's fees vary. You're best advised to call a Family Law attorney in your area to schedule a consult.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment