Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What to do regarding Child Custody

Q: my husband was having an affair changrd locks in house that we were renting took my 14 year old abonded the house and moved and would not give me the address the state of connecticut had faled me and my child he left me penniless...now he dropped off my daughter saying he didn t want her but wont let the school send records saying he has got custody and also divorced me without my knowledge how does and did he pull all this off he threw my clothes out destroyed everything i owned and left me with nothing and we are divorced without my knoeledge he resides in connecticut i reside in ny

David’s answer: First, you need to get ahold of that CT divorce decree. You may indeed need to move to vacate that decree for want of jurisdiction (i.e., failing to properly serve you). Before you bring anything in New York, the Court will want to see a copy of that prior order. Indeed, if it addresses custody (and it probably does), then you MAY need to move to modify as part of the CT divorce case. You may have an argument, however, that New York take jurisdiction on an emergency basis.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Co. Child Custody attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment