Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Now that i am married to the father of my son, how can i change my son's last name to his fathers last name?

Q: When i gave birth, i was not yet married however At the birth certificate of my son the name of the father is stated on it but my sons surname is still under my maiden lastname. I gave birth in Brooklyn new york however my son,my husband who is the father of my son and I are currently residing in the Philippines. What are the requirements we can prepare so that it will not be too costly on our part.

A: David's Answer: "name-change" proceedings in NYC are brought in Supreme Court - they are not. They are brought in Civil Court & the fee is only $65. I'd strongly advise to consult an attorney who handles name-change proceedings in NYC.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment