Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Can I change my son's last name to his stepfather's last name without going through the adoption process?

Q: My son is currently using my maiden name as his last name. His biological father was never listed in the birth certificate and was never involved in my son's life. He is in a different country and doesn't want to do anything with my son. I had recently got married and had changed my last name to my husband's last name. My husband (son's stepfather) wants my son to start using his last name as well to match our last name. How do we go about the process without undergoing the adoption process? Thank you.

A: David's Answer: Without going through the adoption process, you would need to file a change of name proceeding (http://www.nycourts.gov/forms/namechange.shtml). -- David Bliven, Westchester Adoption lawyer (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment