Friday, January 25, 2013

Is this financial spousal abuse? How do report this for records if I need proof in the near future for courts, lawyers,...?

Q: Spouse withdrew all money from joint bank account after a talk about separation on my part because he is verbally, physically and emotionally abusive. Says that I need to budget better. However, it is far beyond that. I am criticized for everything I spend, food, gas, misc. and everything I do. The other day I had to beg for money as he was going away on a business trip. Is this a form of financial abuse? We have a small child. I am a stay at home mom, housewife. What are my rights?


A: David's Answer: Assuming you are heading for a divorce, you should be aware that money in the bank (such as what you've described) is marital funds. However, if he goes out & spends it, it may be difficult to trace. As such, you should at the least consult with an experienced matrimonial lawyer right away.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Divorce lawyer (www.blivenlaw.net)        

No comments:

Post a Comment