A: Merely sending a letter or e-mail to you is not a formal "Answer." A formal Answer would have the caption, state the paragraphs he's admitting & the paragraphs he's denying. He would also need to file same with the court along with an affidavit of service. If he didn't do all that, he's in technical default. I again encourage you to schedule a consultation appointment with a NYC Divorce lawyer to more fully discuss the case, as no definitive opinion can be rendered over the internet.