Generally if you earn below about $35,000/year, you would qualify for free, court-assigned counsel. You would simply bring in proof of how you support yourself on the next court date & ask the Judge to appoint you counsel. If for whatever reason you do not qualify, or wish to explore hiring a private attorney, there are many (especially in the Bronx) who have sliding scales on their fees.  -- David Bliven, Bronx Child Custody lawyer (