Friday, January 4, 2013

I am the non-custodial parent and my daughter will turn 21 on 9/16/13. How do I terminate my support, which is $1,100 a month

Q: Does the state of NY automatically close my child support case on my daughter's 21 st birthday?

David’s answer: They should, assuming there was no valid, written agreement (which was then incorporated into an order) extending the emancipation time. If the order is garnished from your pay, then you want to monitor it closely to verify whether it stops. If it doesn't, then you should immediately do 2 things: (1) file a protest with SCU, which may serve to halt the dispersal of the funds they collected, and (2) file a petition to terminate the order.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment