If the Child is living with you, but the mother's rights were terminated, there is likely a "placement" order from the court which serves the same effective purpose as a custody order. You should ask the caseworker assigned to the case to get you a copy of that order. If s/he isn't helpful, schedule a follow-up consultation with a Child Custody lawyer in your area.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)