If you do not receive a cash budget subsidy for the children, then DSS will not generally sue on your behalf to reclaim Medicaid or Food Stamps. As such, if you wish to file your own case, just goto Family Court & file a petition. In terms of a lawyer, most lawyers in this field will not take the case for free. However, some offer sliding scales and/or payment plans, so I encourage you to contact a Westchester Co. Child Support lawyer to schedule a free follow-up consultation.  -- David Bliven (www.blivenlaw.net)