Tuesday, December 4, 2012

I am a parent who pays child support in NY state. Can i file for a modification in child support when my child attends college

Q: Child is 18 years old and will receive a full scholarship to an out of state 4 year college. Could i file for a reduction in support, or have a portion or all of the support put into an account for my child?

David’s answer: The answer to your question depends in part on whether the child will be going away to college and if that's the case how often the child will be returning. To answer the question definitively I would also like to know whether the original order was part of a written divorce settlement - or just a mere order. Finally, one would need to know whether there are other chidren still at home that you are supporting.  -- David Bliven

No comments:

Post a Comment