Wednesday, April 23, 2014

May I call my ex-wife's employer and verify employment?

Q:  I was ordered to pay 61% of our daycare expenses when they are in her care.
She has a history of lying in regards to financial matters.
I asked her to provide me with proof of employment and a notarized contract stating the daycare arrangement that she has with her babysitter as proof. Our divorce decree states that she only has to provide me with receipts and I have 30 days to pay the amount.

A:  David's Answer:  Sure you can - but in absence of a pending court proceeding (and especially without a subpoena), the employer has no obligation to furnish the info to you. Speak to a Family Law attorney in your area for more info.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment