Saturday, April 12, 2014

Can I change my sons to his step dads?

Q:  His biological father has not seen him since he was 9 months old and now he is 4. I have sole custody of him. I get no child support from his father either!

A:  David's Answer:  Yes - you can start an adoption proceeding. The biological father's consent may be dispensed with so long as the court finds that he legally abandoned the child - which means no substantial contact for longer than 6 months. Also, the child's last name can be changed within an adoption proceeding. Speak to a Family Law attorney in your area.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment