Wednesday, April 23, 2014

How can I change my minor children's last name?

Q:  I recently got remarried and changed my last name to my husband's last name. We have a newborn daughter. I have 2 minor children from a previous marriage. My children have expressed their desire to have their last name changed to that of my husband ( one of my children would also like to have his middle name removed). They tell me that they "love him and don't want to be the only ones in the family with a different last name". I have discussed this with my 2 children's biological father and he agrees with the change, as he is not involved in their lives. My husband provides for all 3 children and myself. Can I make this change? If so, how do I go about doing so? Thank you!

A:  David's Answer:  Your options are to either have your husband adopt the children, or file a change-of-name proceeding. Instructions for the change-of-name proceeding are here: David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment