Saturday, April 12, 2014

I live in Oswego County. I am heavily in debt from a divorce. My 'spousal support' obligations expire or are fulfilled

Q:  as of October 16th, 2014. These payments are automatically deducted from my paycheck. Does this payment to my exspouse automatically cease when this date occurs as per cour order, or do I have to file in court to have it stopped? NY Child Support Division has no answers. Also, my ex claims she is going to convert her support to child support...can she co this? She and her live in boyfriend refuse to work. He "provides no income to the household" Can someone help me?

A  David's Answer:  Is the child the mother wants you to support yours? If yes, then she can file a child support petition against you until the child is 21. If no, then you do no have an obligation to support the child. If you do not see the garnishment stop when it should, you may file a petition in Family Court to obtain a court order terminating the garnishment.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment