Saturday, March 29, 2014

Abandonment laws NY?

Q:  My daughters gatherers saw her January 24th and I know it hasn't been that long but he just had another baby and said he isn't going to see my daughter for a "while" till things settle down and he can get a job. Is there any abandonment laws in ny that I could take him to court for? When could I take him?

A:  David's Answer:  If he goes more than 6 months without seeing the child, he may be found to have legally abandoned the child. If there is a visitation order in place, you can then file a petition to suspend his visitation. You may also file an adoption matter if you have a significant other who may be looking to adopt your daughter. Speak to a Family Law attorney in your area.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment