Saturday, May 17, 2014

What rights do kinship guardians have?

Q:  I am a kinship guardian for two children, each have different law guardians. The law guardian for the 4 year has never met him- not sure if they are supposed to? There was a court hearing that took place last week that I did not go to. I was told by the preventative services worker that the lawyer said in court that she does not want him going to a certain person's home because she thinks that the mother goes there and from what I am being told, the Judge told this person that if they want visitation that there is a process. I have not received anything stating he cant go there and am only going on what the preventative services worker is telling me. There was a cps investigation done for this person and they were cleared.
Am I still allowed to still send the child over there?


A:  David's Answer:  Who is this person whom you're talking about - a relative or a family friend? Ultimately if the caseworker is telling you something, I'd advise to follow it. Your other option is to go into court on the next date & ask the Judge or Referee for clarification. Speak to a Family Law attorney in your area for more info.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment