Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Am I able to change my last name on my child's birth certificate?

Q:  when my child was born, I was in the middle of a divorce. My ex is NOT her father. I wanted to know if I can change my last name back to my maiden name on her birth certificate. In the divorce I am able to go back to my maiden name.

I just wanted to know if this was even possible.

A: David's Answer:  Who's last name is the child's last name currently? Generally if the child's last name matches her father's last name, you'll need to give notice of the proceedings to that father. Forms & instructions are online: Schedule a consult with a Family Law attorney in your area.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment