Saturday, May 17, 2014

Can I file a restraining order against my ex if I initiated the physical altercation?

Q:  i got into a physical altercation with what i then thought was my boyfriend over infidelity, I'm wrong in many ways, I went to his place of work & after his response to the situation I hit him in his face first before he started hurting me. but he is much taller & bigger than me and I am scared...I don't want to file charges i just want protection...can i get that though i initiated the fight? or if i go to the police will they arrest me?..i have bruises all over to prove the altercation.

A:  David's Answer:  You can certainly file for an order of protection. The fact that you initiated the fight may make you guilty as well of a family offense (i.e., disorderly conduct), but he would most likely be guilty as well. Schedule a consult with a Family Law attorney in your area.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment