Sunday, August 3, 2014

My husband has been seeing a woman who lied about being pregnant. Am I entitled to financial compensation?

Q: My husband has been seeing a woman. She lied about being pregnant with his baby. She was not pregnant at all. After he confessed to me about her "pregnancy," and plans to keep it she suddenly had a "miscarriage." I obtained medical records (legally) with proof that she was never pregnant. Obviously this has been an emotional strain and I want to know if I am entitled to financial compensation from one or both of them. I would like to sue both of them. I also have proof that she was very aware that my husband was married when they began their relationship. I have letters and emails that they exchanged.

A: David's Answer: You could theoretically sue for adultery, but as a practical matter you may need to pay more for a lawyer to pursue the claim than you're likely to get (i.e., it's at most a suit brought in small claims court). Otherwise, you can sue for divorce. Thus, call a Westchester Family Law attorney to schedule a consult. -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment