Monday, August 4, 2014

Can I live with a sibling instead of my parents?

Q: I do not like living with either if my parents. I currently reside in Waterford VT with my mother and step father. My step father is very verbally abusive and makes remarks about knocking me out and how I am no good and never will be and I used to have to see counselors because of it and my mother does nothing to help and just barely got a part time job so its rough staying there. My father lives in Williston and does not want me and is $20,000+ in child support debt and is an ex addict but current alcoholic. I wanted to know if it were possible to move in with my brother in Crown Point NY. We have the same father and his mom is a college counselor and I live here with them in the summer. I am going to be 16 in October and already have two paying jobs. Is it possible for me to move here?

A: David's Answer: If you live in VT, you'd need to post this question to that forum. NY wouldn't have jurisdiction over the case as VT is your "home state." -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment