Saturday, August 16, 2014

Confused , Have 2 kids Child support , Tax Time ? Ex claims one I claim 1, Custody Change !

Q: When we got divorce we had agreed that each of us would claim 1 child each on taxes, she agreed because I paid 1000.00 a month in support . Now I have custody of both children, she is suppose to pay 100.00 a week in support for 2 kids. But I am accepting 50 a week because she refused to allow my sons to live with me if I would take the full amount she would be responsible for. How does taxes work ? Can I claim both kids now e ? She is only paying $50.00 a week in support for 2 kids don't think it's fair if she receive the extra 1000.00 tax credit and able to claim one child. That would mean she only really has to spend 1600 a year two support 2 kids.

A: David's Answer: If the agreement to split the deductions was just informal, then you can just send her a notice via certified mail stating henceforth (& in light of both children now residing with you) you'll be taking the deduction for both kids. If the prior agreement was incorporated into a court order/judgment, then you'll need to file a petition for modification. Schedule a consult with an Orange/Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Family attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment