Saturday, February 8, 2014

I need to know what rights I have regarding my personal property that is at my ex-husband's place.

Q:  Due to domestic violence, I recently had to remove my daughters and myself from a home we were sharing with my ex-husband. I am attempting to get the clothes and other goods left there, but he keeps changing the arrangements and creating obstacles to keep me from getting them. He wants to take my things and put them into storage rather than letting me get them myself so that I can be sure to have all of the important things I need. What recourse do I have?

A:  David's Answer:   Here's the issue: if he's your "ex-husband," this implies you are divorced now. If so, then you are only entitled to those items if they were specified in the judgment or the settlement agreement. If they were not, then those items are his now. Speak to a Family Law attorney in your area for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment