Saturday, February 8, 2014

Hiring a lawyer for family court

Q:  I am going back to family court as a respondent. I am still owe my lawyer a balance from my precious court proceedings. He will not take my case until I pay the balance and put a larger retainer fee. Is this standard practice? Should I just hire another lawyer? I have a feeling that I will be in court for a long time since it is a modification and violation hearings. Thank you.

A:  David's Answer:  Yes, I think its reasonable from a business perspective. I, for one, do not accept new retainers (generally speaking) if a client owes a balance from a prior case.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment