Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Can I change my maiden name to a different one of my choice although I'm married and use husband's last name?

Q:  I'm not getting divorced but want to have a different maiden last name. Thx.

A:  David's Answer:  If you have your husband's last name via the marriage certificate, then you will need to amend your marriage certificate. One proviso: you cannot use your husband's last name for some purposes and your maiden name (or another surname) for other purposes. Legally, it must be consistent - so if you wish to stop using your husband's surname, then you can amend the marriage certificate.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment