Wednesday, September 4, 2013

How do I get emancipated at 17 in New York

Q:  How do I go about getting emancipated at 17 in order to be declared a legal adult and get out of my parents house?

A:  David's Answer:  There is no specific application or petition to "emancipate" yourself. Until you are 18, you are still (legally-speaking) a child who must be governed by your parents. Understand that if you leave the house against your parents wishes, you forfeit your ability to request any financial support from them.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment