Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Is there any way for a 17 year old to move out without having to go through the emancipation process?

Q:  I want to move in with a family that I know but I wasn't sure if there were any way to do it without a big legal fuss from my parents. I just don't want to be in this house anymore because of tension and it's very stressful to me.

A:  David's Answer:  Under New York law, you are still a minor until age 18. If you move out without your parent's consent beforehand, you risk having them file a PINS petition. --  David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment