Friday, September 6, 2013

How do I obtain a copy of my forensic evaluation reports?

Q: The judge ordered that a report be submitted to the court. The court sent copies to the attorneys. My attorney has quickly read it to me but says that they are not allowed to give me a copy. Nowhere in the order does it state that I am not allowed a copy and I have found no law that disallows me from having the report. The order did state that neither attorney shall have contact with the evaluator except for payment issues. it did not state that I may not request a copy although I believe he would not give it. I did go to the court to see if it was in my records and was told that it is in the judges records and they would not give me a copy. What should I do to obtain these reports? Thanks very much for any advice!


A: To my knowledge, It is the current policy of the Westchester courts not to allow the parties to have a copy of the report. That said, unless there is a specific order to the contrary, your attorney should allow you to read the report in his/her office.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment