Friday, June 27, 2014

Last name change for minor children

Q:  I am recently remarried. I plan to take my husband's last name. I have 2 children from first marriage. I would like them to also have my husband's last name as he is the person who supports them. Biological father not involved in their lives and is willing to agree with the name change but not to my husband adopting them. Is it possible for me to change their last name without my husband adopting my children? If so, could I change my last name change and theirs at the same time so I don't pay extra court fees?

A:  David's Answer:  Your can change your surname on the marriage certificate, but will need to file a separate court action to change the children's surnames. Here's some info regarding same: Call a Westchester Family Law attorney for more info.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment