Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I have an open child support order with my ex-husband, who has not really paid much in the past 10 years.

Q:  Our children are now 21, 19 and 15 years old and have kept the lines of communication open with him throughout the years. We struggled a lot and I once resented him. Today, my life is a bit different. I'd like to cancel the $50 per month I am receiving plus the $21,414.00 in arrears. My case is in New York. Do I file the Petition for Relief From Support Payments and Commitment with the Court?

A:  David's Answer:  You can just file a petition to terminate the support. You can go to the Clerk's Office of the Family Court - they can assist you in drafting the petition. Call a Family Law attorney in your area for more info.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment