Friday, June 27, 2014

Can I revoke my rights as an adoptive parent?

Q:  My ex wife & I adopted our children in October. Back in August of that same year, she told our adult children she was going to leave the marriage after the adoption & the holidays. By January she I am being dragged into court by CPS for something she did. She receives close to $1,000 a month per child (3). We agreed that I would not pay support (but send money for school clothes, holidays, birthdays, etc. The court is ordering me to pay back argument with the court is that the adoption was under false pretenses. Do I have any recourse?

A:  David's Answer:  You can always try filing a motion with the Adoption Judge asking to rescind the adoption. It seems to me the odds are extremely unlikely you'd prevail, as adoptions are intended to be permanent. Schedule a consult with a Family Law attorney in your area.
-- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment