Monday, March 18, 2013

Will I have a problem moving with my child upstate away from biological dad

Q:  I live with my parents and I'm not married to my sons dad. However I am going to have to move with to upstate ny. I live in Westchester county but moving around oneonta. I can't afford to live on my own and my parents are helping me with my son. Will I have a problem moving since the sons dad lives in Westchester county


A:  David's Answer:  I respectfully disagree with the strategy of "move first & see what happens." I have a case pending in court right now where the mother did just that - moved from Westchester to Buffalo with her children. She didn't have a prior order nor did she have the father's permission. At this point, it appears likely the Judge will order her to move back - at her expense - with the children, or give up custody of the children. As such, I highly advise if there are no prior order to file both a child custody & child support petition.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Custody attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment