If there is a neglect case in court, then there would indeed be a court order of some sort. That said, there may/may not be a court order specifically designating you (as the grandparent) as the temporary custodian. You should also be aware of your rights as a possible kinship foster parent and the right to receive subsidies for caring for the child. In any event, I encourage you to contact a Westchester Co. Family Law attorney to discuss the situation further.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)