Monday, March 18, 2013

My husband and I lived in MA and due to his infidelity, I was forced to leave and move to NY. In which state should I file?

Q:  7 year marriage. I will like to ask for alimony because his verbal abuse and mistreatment have left me mentally ill.

A:  David's Answer:  Most likely MA as NY would not have jurisdiction over him, unless he consented to NY having jurisdiction or you were able to serve him with the papers in NY. For a definitive opinion, however, I suggest that you schedule consultations with both a MA attorney as well as a Westchester Co. Divorce lawyer.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Divorce attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment