Monday, March 11, 2013

Does CPS need to go through a lawyer or courts to ask me for paperwork?

Q:  My ex got into trouble in her county and had her children taken away and was arrested for abusing her 8 year old son . I have primary custody of our son whom was not involved . CPS contacted me and asked me for some paperwork pertaining to our current custody order so I gave them what they asked for . Ex is stating she is going to sue me for giving out her information IE ~ the order . She claims CPS cannot request information from me while they are involved with a criminal and removal court case with her . She claims they need to go through lawyers to get any paperwork or information . Do they have the right to request information ? Part of our custody order stipulates her boyfriend not to drink around my son and that's what CPS wanted . Drinking was also a factor in her kids being removed .


A:  David's Answer:  She is dead wrong. The order is just as much "yours" as it is "hers." Besides, if CPS wanted the order, they could have easily obtained a subpoena from the Judge to obtain the order & the Judge would have granted it. As such, there was no "prejudice" in handing over a copy of the order.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Abuse defense lawyer (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment