Saturday, March 30, 2013

Why do I have to go back to court to find out the DNA results. Can't they mail them to me?

Q:  I'm not sure who the father is. But one of the might be dads took me to court for a paternity proceeding. We did the DNA tests right there. They then schedule another court date to find results. Why can't they mail me the results if he is then go to court again. If not why should I waste my time going to find out.


A:  David's Answer:  Because legally speaking, the Father still has a right to a trial on the paternity issue, even with the test result. Moreover, if he then admits to being the father, the court must "allocate" him & enter on the record an "order of filiation" declaring him to be the legal father. Then the Court must ask you whether you want an order of support for the child - if you do, the Court must then proceed with the child support hearing.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Child Support lawyer (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment