Monday, October 15, 2012

What form do I use to petition the court to relocate with minor children (New York)?

Q: My ex-husband and I are recently divorced and the divorce decree states that I cannot move more than 30 miles away. I have been a stay at home mom for almost the entire length of the marriage (7 years) and our children are ages 7 and 3. I'm having trouble finding work, and I have no support or resources here in New York. I want to move back to Kentucky where both my parents and my ex's reside. How do I petition the court in order to do so, and what is the best way to make my case?

A: David Bliven's Answer: General court forms may be found at the Clerk's office or on the NYS Court System's website ( That said, a relocation proceeding is a difficult one to present. If part of your reason for relocating is difficulty in finding work, then I highly advise to start keeping documentary proof of your job search (example: print-outs of submissions on as you may ultimately need to prove your "diligent" job search at trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment