Monday, October 22, 2012

Son's father filed for paternity from prison

Q: My sons father is in prison and wants his name on his birth certificate can and will he get what he wants and do i have to worry: he will be in prison for 25 years. 

David Bliven’s answer: I agree that it's possible for him to file a paternity petition - if he does and is successful in proving his paternity (usually done via a DNA test) then he'll also very likely be successful in getting his name added to the birth certificate. That said, even though he's in jail, it's still possible to get the court to enter a minimum child support order against him (usually $25-50 per month), which may not sound like alot now, but if the child's an infant it could result in a judgment against him of over $6,000 not including interest when he gets out.

No comments:

Post a Comment