Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My parents signed an acknowledgment of paternity which reissued my birth certificate with a corrected last name

Q:  J was under 18 when this was done, and was not aware of it until years later. i took the corrected birth certificate to ss office to get name corrected (went from Smith to Smith-Jones) and passport office. Explained the situation, and encountered no issues and my ss card and passport were corrected. Have been using smith-jones from then on. it has now been 10 years , but I worry that maybe my parents should have done something else before I started using the corrected name (ie smith-jones instead of just smith). I have gone to graduate school etc. on smith-jones (though college has been smith). maybe i am being overly cautious but I just wanted to ask if they did anything wrong of if since my birth certificate was corrected/ressiued that is my legal name and im ok without anything else.

A:  David's Answer:  If the birth certificate was changed, this should suffice. You may also wish to consider doing a change of name proceeding.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment