Saturday, October 5, 2013

Can my ex's parents get grandparents rights and who responsible is it to set it up?

Q:  my ex's parents has had little to no contact with my child in the past 4 years(3 1/2 years of straight no contact). the father got visitation rights almost a year ago. few of the visits the father had to have them at his parents house since the father lives far away also my child has done 1 holiday with fathers family. but now all the visits are where the fathers wants and thats been at his house and his parents don't get to see my kid anymore. his parents just started to email me asking can they see him. is it my responsibility to let them see him on my days with my kid or is it up to the father. i feel it should be the fathers responsibility to let his parents to see my kid on his time. if they take me to court will they get wrights?

A:  David's Answer:  Grandparents may petition for visitation, and that's usually a day or two per month in addition to the father's visits. If they haven't seen the child in awhile, the Court is much more likely to start slow - thus with the once per month for a few hours. That said, there may be other factors at work which will need to be assessed. Thus, you're best advised to schedule a consultation with a Dutchess/Westchester Child Custody attorney. --  David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment