Saturday, October 5, 2013

Does the family court ordered mandatory courses impact on my husband criminal court charges?

Q:  My husband now is facing both charges from criminal and family court for domestic violence (DV). And I am trying to reconcile with him by withdraw the case from family court which is the one i could control and in order not to affect his doctor career in the future, I told my lawyer to fully drop off the whole case and my lawyer said it is quite risky to do so since DV is a repeating behavior. So she suggested me to add a mandatory course court ordered him to go (batterers'). But my husband's lawyer asked him not to accept my request and he said this course is kinda like a probation which is not good for him to win the criminal case. I don't whether it is true or not. if it is true, what I can do to make sure he changed without putting records on him?


A:  David's Answer:  I don't see any direct impact on the criminal case. Indeed, the best plea he's likely to get in criminal court would be an ACD - which would almost always require him to complete a batterer's program anyway. If you're looking for a 2d opinion and/or for a full assessment, schedule a consultation with a Westchester Family Law attorney.   --  David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment